Join the largest international online cleaning of mankind, the 50th anniversary of Earth Day will be celebrated in a special way.
For the first time in the history of the planet, international digital cleaning is being arranged.
Temporary isolation is not a reason to forget about the spring mood and environmental responsibility!
The international youth movement "School Recycling World" and the All-Ukrainian youth movement "Let's do it Ukraine" call April 22, 2020 join online cleaning! Take a step towards environmentally responsible living, tidy up not only the house, but also notice your digital prints, which pollute the environment no less than other waste.
For the average citizen, waste is often invisible, as soon as it leaves our household, we no longer see it. However, inside the houses there is one of the types of invisible waste - digital waste. All these old files, copies of photos, downloaded videos, unused programs - they are hidden in the corners of your devices, make them slow and use up storage space. The energy needed to support our digital data consumes more than all households in the UK in a year - it's really modern waste!
The world is in quarantine, and so many of us are stuck in our homes. Is there a better opportunity than now? It's time to free our digital lives and remove all unnecessary information from devices.
Clean your personal computers, laptops, smartphones, cloud storage, electronic bills with digital clutter and free up space! Less clutter = more attention + more happiness.
Let's Do It World created a website to calculate how much together we can clean our gadgets in one day and make the Earth cleaner, register the amount of memory you freed during online cleaning on April 22, 2020 at digital.worldcleanupday.org. Let's clean the world of our digital waste together!
FACTS ABOUT DIGITAL WASTE AND GARBAGE
The carbon footprint on the Internet and the systems that support it is about 3.7% of global greenhouse gas emissions. This percentage can be compared with the influence of the global aviation industry.
Each spam ejects about 0.3 grams of CO2. The email with attachment contains 50 grams. Sending a billion e-mails consumes as much greenhouse gas as 3 million cars. And to store 1 GB of e-mail for one year consumes 32.1 kW / h, which is equal to 10 hours of baking in a conventional household oven.
Digital cleaning is important not only for the environment, but also for you personally. Deleting unnecessary files clears the storage space on your devices, making them faster and you more attentive and calmer.
Ready for a spring restart? Then keep an action plan.
Before you start, be sure to check the amount of full memory to record the results of cleaning.
Step 1 - Email
1.Check the current box size using the following chain: Outlook> Account> Folder Properties> Folder Size.
- Unsubscribe. Especially the one you never open.
- Delete old junk emails. You may feel sorry for them, but the chances of you rereading them are very small. Be brave, fearlessly press the DELETE button.
- Block unwanted senders. To do this, in the sheet, click on the mark with 3 vertical dots in the upper right corner and select the "Block sender" option.
- Clear the spam folder without opening the message.
- Disable email notifications from apps and social networks.
Congratulations! You have passed the rite of consecration. You can now proceed to the next level.
Step 2 - Smartphone
- Check the current memory. On Android: Menu> Settings> Storage or Menu> My files> Device memory. On iPhone: Settings> General> Storage
- Uninstall any programs that you haven't used or have used only a few times. Be honest and brave! Also check out the downloads, as some of the downloaded files will no longer be needed.
- Clear the cache. On Android phones, go to Settings> Storage> Find the app you want to clear> Clear Cache. Or clear the cache directly through the settings of each application. On iPhone, select Settings> Safari> Clear Website History & Data> Clear History & Data.
Also check how much space your apps take up: Settings> General> Usage (iPhone). You can uninstall the most difficult programs and install them again. This often helps to free up to 500 MB. Don't forget to clear the data of applications such as Telegram. All photos, videos, documents and audio are stored in a separate folder on the device called the application.
- Time to pick up Her Majesty's gallery. You definitely do not need ten versions of one picture or re-photographed pages of abstracts, books. To remove all the others, imagine that you are traveling in time for 5 years. What images exactly do you not need? Sort the remaining photos into folders for convenience.
Now take another look at the amount of memory and enjoy these moments of pride.
Step 3 - Laptop and computer
- Set up a web browser. View all your passwords, delete your long browsing history and unnecessary bookmarks and applications. Accumulation of such data slows down the browser and also poses a threat to privacy.
- Remove all unnecessary programs. But don't do this by simply deleting the folder from drive C. Go to the control panel, select the category view and the "Uninstall programs" section.
- Clean the device of temporary and unnecessary files. To do this, there are many programs that will do all the work for you. Open a search engine, enter a query and choose the program you like. Or ask familiar IT professionals, they will be happy to help.
- The next step is the same as in smartphones: you do not need the same photos a century ago, funny memes or pictures, videos, presentations, documents that have long wanted to be in the trash, unnecessary downloads.
Check the results of your work. To do this, select options on the disk: Properties> General
Join the international eco movement and digital clean-up day, share achievements with friends. Post cleaning results on social media with the hashtags #digitalcleanup #letsdoitukraine #letsdoitworld #earthrise #worldcleanupday or the @letsdoitukraine tag. And don't forget that the active use of technology is a double-edged sword. They can both help and harm. Try to minimize their use and spend free time for hobbies, sports or to communicate with people dear to you.
LET'S MAKE UKRAINE AND THE WORLD CLEAN TOGETHER ONLINE!
Find out more at www.letsdoitukraine.org
Media accreditation by phone 0930307303